Monday, April 12, 2010

Grandma's Mantra



Plan you work and work your plan. - Zig Ziglar and Grandma

Grandma's warm voice beckons me every time I think about starting a new endeavor.  Her words remind me that no endeavor should be undertaken without an intentional pause to think and plan my next steps, so I can execute my goal. No matter how small or large the project, take a moment to plan your work so the tasks ahead are more manageable. Planning helps you overcome the challenge when you actually have to work your plan. 

While you are in the planning process, keep some of the points in mind:

  • Break large projects down into smaller parts. 
    • Eating the proverbial elephant one bite at a time makes the journey ahead not seem so intimidating and creates opportunities for small victories. We often set ourselves up for failure because we put our goals far out of reach. Doing something "easy" can encourage to take the next step.
  • Set a deadline. 
    • For my fellow procrastinators, setting a realistic deadline can help us avoid leaving your tasks incomplete until tomorrow.
  • Share your goal.
    • By sharing your goal, you become accountable and less likely to drop the ball.
Whenever you decide to start your project, don't forget your plan - you'll need it along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment